The internet started as a military thing on desktop computers. As time has progressed, we are now using it on our Smart Android TVs, a device that was never thought of having the capability to connect to a network. This journey is an impeccable story but perhaps some other time. For now, let us discuss the best browsers for Android TV that can help the users to surf and browse the internet on their TVs.
How to Choose the Best Web Browser for your Android Smart TV?
Before I jump to the list of the best web browsers for your Smart Android TV, it is essential to know certain important facts that will help you decide which browser is most suited for you.
- Android TV comes with a different version of the Google Play Store.
- Apps compatible on your Android Smartphone or Tablet may not be compatible with your Android TV.
- You may not find most of your favorite apps like Chrome Browser on the TV version of the Google Play Store because Chrome mobile version is not fully compatible with Android TV.
- You can open the web browser of the Google Play store and install all apps available. This process is called Sideloading the app on to the Android TV.
- You can also obtain APK of various apps, make a change in the settings and then, install those third-party apps on your Android TV. This is also a type of Sideloading the App.
Note: Users have to be careful while determining the source of the third-party APKs and ensure that they are safe before sideloading an app. If you install from Google Play Store or download the APK from APKMIRROR, then they are safe for sure, but may or may not be compatible with your Android TV. In which case, you can simply uninstall them from your device.
Also Read- Remove Bing From Chrome Browser
The 15 Best Free Browsers for Android TV or Smart TV
The list of best web browsers for Android TV has been mentioned in the table below. You can choose the best one yourself and click on the download button.
Else, you can read through the article where I have explained the features, benefits and limitations of each browser. And these points will help you make your decision.
Also, I have added some FAQs at the end of the article which you can access first by clicking here.
|Browser Name||Google Play Store Rating (out of 5)||Unique Feature||Get it Now!|
|1||Google Chrome||4.4||Most Popular & Commonly used across all devices||Download|
|2||Mozilla||4.4||Maximum number of features||Download|
|3||Puffin||3.9||Supports Flash For Android and Gesture Support||Download|
|4||Opera||4.6||Offline Browsing feature based on cache||Download|
|5||Microsoft Edge||4.5||The New Chromium-based version is undoubtedly better than Google||Download|
|6||Duck Duck Go||4.7||This Browser assuringly collects no data whatsoever.||Download|
|7||Kiwi Browser||4.2||Special protection to prevent hackers from mining CryptoCurrencyrency||Download|
|8||Samsung Internet Browser||4.4||Fantastic experience for Samsung Smart TV users.||Download|
|9||Dolphin||4.1||Replicates the computer browsing experience on TV like multiple tabs etc.||Download|
|10||Flynx||4.3||One of the fastest browsers with multilingual support||Download|
|11||Web Browser for Android TV||3.5||Developed for Smart TVs and need not be sideloaded||Download|
|12||TV Bro||4.1||A new open-source browser which has incredible speed||Download|
|13||TVWeb Browser for TV.||3.1||Replicates the Mobile browsing experience on TV and is lightweight||Download|
|14||Amazon’s Silk Browser.||N/A||A dream come true for Amazon Fire device users||Download|
|15||Vewd Browser||3.1||Developed for Sony Android TV users and getting rid of limitations on other browsers.||Download|
Here is a detailed explanation of each Android smart TV browser along with its Benefits and Limitations:
The first one on the list of the best browser for Android TV is Google Chrome, which is undoubtedly the most popular browser across the globe. You can have the same experience of using Chrome on your TV as you have while using it on your computer or mobile. Around 90% of the web pages available on the internet are optimized and tested on Chrome, which rules the possibility of any sort of incompatibility of browsing on your Android TV. To install the Chrome web browser for Android TV, open the Google Play Store and sideload it on your device.
- Syncs data between all Chrome Browsers signed with the same Google account.
- Includes malicious Adblockers and Pop-up blockers.
- Features an Incognito mode for Private Browsing.
- It also has the Google translate option inculcated into the browser.
- User friendly, quick and simple to use.
- Surprisingly, it does not come preinstalled on Android Smart TVs.
- It does not work properly with the default Android TV remote.
- Chrome does not support all extensions in TV mode.
Also Read: 5 Tips to Secure your Smart TV and Keep the Hackers Away
If you don’t use Google Chrome, then you probably are in the second-largest bunch of people who use Mozilla Firefox as their most preferred web browser. This Android TV browser provides its users with the same interface it does on a smartphone. It works fine, and there are no significant challenges while opting for Firefox on your Android TV. Firefox not only synchronizes the bookmarks but also allows the users to send pages from one device to another.
- Supports all Firefox extensions on Android TV as well.
- You can install Ublock extension to block the ads.
- Android TV remote compatibility is better than Chrome.
- Passwords, Bookmarks and settings are synced between all devices.
- Private browsing and Tracking Protection are supported.
- Firefox must be sideloaded on Android TV.
- Firefox is not fully functional with the Android TV remote.
Also Read: 7 Reasons Why Owning A Smart TV Is The Best Thing To Do
One of the best browsers for Android TV, which has its own dedicated Android TV app is Puffin TV browser. Surprisingly, Puffin has created an Android TV browser before Google Chrome and offers all the features of a significant browser. Unlike Firefox, the content is perfectly loaded and optimized for the TV with the remote control functioning flawlessly. The app can be installed from the Play Store app on your TV, and no sideloading is required. Surfing the internet requires users to scan the QR code on the Android smartphone and then, push the link onto the TV instead of typing the URL letter by letter.
- Has a dedicated Android TV app.
- Perfectly compatible with the default Android TV remote.
- Facilitates a VPN service that encrypts your traffic and offers incognito browsing.
- Like Chrome, it syncs your data with the desktop version as well.
- Supports Flash and provides gesture support for videos that can control Volume and brightness.
- The free version displays ads.
- Is slower as compared to Chrome and Firefox
- The user’s location is tracked but not shared in the free version.
- The premium version costs $4.99.
Opera is one of the few Android TV browsers that offer offline browsing. Once the pages are opened and loaded completely, users can access them anytime later without being connected to the internet. Another feature, especially for readers, is the night mode, which optimizes the interface for late-night browsing. Opera is not available as an Android TV app and has to be sideloaded just like Chrome and Firefox, but can be better customized than either of them.
- Lightweight and user-friendly interface.
- Easy sync between the desktop, mobile and TV.
- Adblockingfeature inculcated within the browser.
- It offers a free built-in VPN that hides your IP address under a virtual IP.
- Data saver mode to reduce data consumption.
- Faster loading of pages.
- Opera must be sideloaded on Android TV.
- Requires keyboard or a mouse connected to TV.
Microsoft Edge Browser
Microsoft Edge Browser is one of the best web browsers of Android TV. Microsoft has never succeeded in the past with web browsers, and mentioning it on this list, does raise doubt for many. However, let me tell you that Microsoft has developed an all-new Edge browser based on Chromium. Some of the reviews of the new Edge Browser state that it is even better than the current Google Chrome browser, we use today.
- A unique Edge’s Hub and a reading mode that is much suited for readers only.
- Sync your data across all devices with a single Microsoft Account.
- Features a private browsing mode.
- Facilitates built-in Ad Blocker
- Translation services and Password Manager.
- Requires a Bluetooth mouse to scroll down the web pages while reading.
- Can be installed by sideloading only as there is no dedicated web browser app for Android TV.
- Does not provide extensive support.
DuckDuckGo Browser was founded in 2008 with the sole purpose of keeping the user searches private. This has two benefits: First, the search results are not influenced by your browsing history, and secondly, there is no data stored that can fall into the wrong hands. This best Android TV web browser also blocks all third-party trackers that are disguised as ads, collecting information from your computer and sending it to their servers.
- Lightweight browser with simple features.
- Privacy is the key feature as the entire browser is designed to be anonymous in every aspect.
- Dedicated button to clear current session history with one click.
- Automatic deletion of all activity once the browser is closed.
- Can be installedby sideloading the app on Android TV.
- Does not have various extensions like other browsers.
- The default theme is dark, which may always not be suitable for everyone.
Also Read: 7 Best Android TV Apps To Download For Entertainment
Kiwi Browser is the best Android TV browser developed on Chromium and includes Webkit that makes this web browser for Android TV faster than most of the other browsers. It is one of the very few browsers that claim to prevent hackers from using your device without your permission to mine crypto-currency. It also supports instant chatting on Facebook.
- Fast and easy to use.
- Night Mode
- Free Ad Blocker built-in
- Integrated translator for web pages.
- A dedicated discord chat community for sharing issues, resolutions and ideas.
- Installation has to be done by sideboarding.
- Does not have extensive extensions support yet.
- Being in the test phase, it does display specific indescribable issues. However, a quick restart of the application resolves most issues.
Also Read: All You Need To Know About Setting Up VPN On Android TV
Samsung Internet Browser
With over a billion installs, Samsung Internet Browser is undoubtedly one of the best browsers for Android TV. It was initially developed for Samsung Smart TVs, but later on, it was modified so that it could work on all smart TVs, irrespective of brand and model. But to experience full features and functionality, a Galaxy store is required, and this application is only compatible with Samsung phones and TVs.
- Security and Privacy. Samsung Internet Browser facilitates Smart Anti-Tracking and Content Blockers.
- Users can customize the menu and relocate the buttons.
- The inbuilt video assistant helps to enhance the video watching experience.
- Browser extensions like the translator can also be added.
- Galaxy Store required for complete benefits
- Has to be sideloaded on Smart TVs
Also Read: How to Connect Apple iPad to Android TV?
Dolphin Browser has around 50 million + installs which explains the popularity and the fact that all have widely accepted this Android TV browser. It has many features,including Adobe Flash Player and Gesture Controls. Dolphin also supports a built-in download manager and allows the users to switch between search engines like Google, Yahoo, Yandex, Bing etc.
- Incognito/Private Browsing
- Supports multiple tabs just as in a computer.
- Has a separate bookmarks and add-ons sidebar.
- Ad Blocking feature inculcated into the browser.
- Supports Flash technology for gaming and streaming videos seamlessly.
- Gestures supported.
- It needs to be sideloaded on your Android Browser.
- It does not work correctly with the default Android TV remote.
- Unlike Chrome and Firefox, Dolphin does not support any extensions.
Perhaps the only web browser for Android Tv that opens a bubble of the link clicked by the user that gives you an idea as to what you can expect on the next page. If you click on the bubble, the next page will load instantly on a full-screen window. Other than this gimmick of a feature, it also saves loaded pages and can be read offline at a later point of time.
- Adblocker is present.
- Simple interface and easy to use.
- Support 15 languages, including Japanese and Chinese.
- Saves data and loads faster by eliminating ads and other unnecessary clutter.
- User Permission required for device contacts which is unlikely for a browser.
- Does not sync with the desktop version of the browser.
- Has no inbuilt privacy features like VPN or encryption
- Pages do not always render correctly.
Web Browser for Android TV
Unlike Chrome and Firefox, Web Browser for Android TV is a free Android TV-Browser that was developed for Smart TVs. It facilitates easy and smooth functioning of browsing the internet but has certain limitations to consider. Thus, it can always be considered as a backup browser in case the primary does not work.
- Allows users to browse pages, videos, images and other content from your Android TV.
- Saves favorite pages and customizable bookmarks.
- Offers an onscreen built-in keyboard for ease of access.
- The browser can be controlled by different devices like default Android TV remote, D-pad’s remote, Game Controller etc.
- Supports streaming full-screen videos.
- Contains Ads which can be removed by purchasing the premium version.
- It has not been updated for quite some time now.
- It has specific compatibility issues with some of the websites.
Developed by Phlox Development, TV Bro is a relatively new Android TV browser, which has been designed to overcome a fundamental limitation of all TV browsers and that is speed. Justifying its claim, TV Bro is indeed the fastest browser among all. It has a 4.2 rating with over 10,000 installs and is free to use due to its open-source code.
- Works well with the default Android TV remote.
- Supports multiple tabs and bookmarks
- It also facilitates switch user agent support.
- A built-in download manager.
- It is not compatible with all Android TVs.
- Being open-source means, it is not frequently updated.
TVWeb Browser for TV
With 1 million installs, TVWeb Browser for TV is one of the best web browsers for Android TV. Although it has to be sideloaded on Android TV, usingit is a wonderful experience similar to your smartphone. It is developed by Rarity Co. Ltd, which is a Japanese company and has developed many successful applications.
- Free to use and has a size of 3 MB
- Fast and smooth surfing experience.
- The browser works fine while browsing the internet, listening to online music or playing games.
- It facilitates Audio Search, Browsing History, Bookmarks and Pointer Display function.
- Has issues while using the default Android TV remote.
- Must be sideloaded on Android TV through the web version of Google Play Store.
- The pointer display feature is not compatible with all sites.
Amazon’s Silk Browser
If you have any of Amazon’sstreaming devices, collectively known as Fire, then this is the best Android TV browser. It is primarily developed to work on Smart TVs, keeping in mind the limitations of other browsers on Android TV. As Amazon is a shopping website, Silk browser is optimized not only for viewing movies and browsing the internet but also for shopping on Amazon and controlling your smart home devices with Alexa.
- Fully compatible with the Fire Stick Remote and enhanced control of the TV browser.
- Users can use voice commands to search and navigate.
- Online videos and music can be easily controlled.
- Installed by default on Fire Stick, Fire TV and Fire Tablet.
- Silk browser’s connection to Amazon’s cloud and Photos is always on 24/7.
- Works with Amazon Fire Products only.
- Not available on Google Play Store.
- User data is being collected for recommended searches by Amazon.
Vewd Browser ( For Sony Android TV’s only)
Vewd Browser was developed in 2017 to revolutionize the Smart TV experience. It was designed especially for Sony TVs and required special remotes with D-Pad for enhanced performance. The app can be downloaded directly from the TV’s Android Play Store and does not need to be sideloaded. Vewd Browser does not require any keyboard or Mouse to function, provided you have a compatible remote. It is lightweight, fast and uncluttered and allows uses to customize web pages for better surfing. Let’s know more about this best web browser for Android TV or Smart TV.
- An easy to use and attractive interface.
- One of the fastest browsers on the list.
- Web Pages are rendered to adapt on Android TV.
- Stable and compatible with all activitieson the internet.
- Applicable to Sony’s Android TV only.
- Requires a special TV remote with a D-pad.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Android TV Browser
With the list concluded on the Best Free Browsers for Android TV, let’s take a look on the frequently asked questions troubling many smart TV users across the globe. If your question is not mentioned below, then please mention it in the comments section below, and our team will provide a solution for the same.
Does Android TV have a Web browser?
Unfortunately, the Android TV does not come with a pre-installed browser, but it does come with a Play Store App installed which displays only those apps that are developed for Android TV and meet the Google requirements. Surprisingly, you will not find any popular web browsers listed in the Android TV’s Play Store like Chrome, Firefox etc. as these apps do not meet the requirements for an Android TV suitable app. But there are some other browsers like Web Browser for TV Bro and TV Bro that can be installed and are 100% compatible with the Android TV and its TV remote.
To install your favorite, you can sideload that browser on your Android TV. There might be slight issues with compatibility as that browser was designed for a smartphone or tablet, but nothing major. Users have been sideloading apps on their Android TVs for years now by installing any Android App from the web version of the Google Play Store.
How Do I Install A Web Browser on Android TV?
Installing a browser that is not available on the Google Play Store of the Android TV is a tricky task to carry out, and it requires you to follow these steps carefully:
First, obtain an installation file or APK of the application you wish to install on your Android TV. The best place to get an APK is APK MIRROR, which offers installation files of all the free apps unlike Google Play Store, which directly installs the application. Remember, you can only get free Apps without any in-app purchases built-in, so basically, this does not hamper any copyright laws or break any rules.
Follow these steps to install a browser on Android TV:
- Once you have downloaded all the APKs, you wanted to install,
- Upload and save all these APKs to your Google Drive.
- Install a file manager app from your TV’s Play Store. I prefer ES File Explorer. Install it on your Android TV.
Note: As the app is of Chinese’s origin, it may not be available in India, because the Indian government has banned some of the Chinese apps
- Open the recently installed file manager and navigate with the app to browse and open a file from the cloud.
- Now, choose your Google Drive and locate the folder where you have saved the APKs.
- Once done, install those APKs one by one by highlighting the APKs and pressing the enter button to open/install from the TV remote.
How do I Add Chrome on Android TV?
Any Browser can be added to an Android TV by sideloading it via an APK file or opening the web version of Google Play Store. But if you want to install Chrome, then the process is much simpler.
Step 1. Sign in your Android TV with your Google Account.
Step 2. Open your computer, and navigate to Google Play Store on any web browser.
Step 3. Search for Chrome Browser and open the Chrome App page.
Step 4. Click on Install and confirm the device you want to install it to.
Step 5. Choose your TV name, and Chrome Browser will be installed to your Android TV.
Note: This can happen if all the devices are connected to the internet and signed in with the same Google Account.
Which is the Best Free Browser for Android TV?
This is a difficult question because each browser is particular in its way and does have a unique feature. However, if you are using Samsung, Sony or Amazon Fire devices, then you have a dedicated browser that will work wonders for you on those specific devices only.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a generic best browser for Android TV then, you could go for the Opera Browser. I am recommending Opera not just for the fact that it has the highest rating on the Google Play Store, but it has most of the features you require and is lightweight too.
And if you want to keep a second alternative browser, then I suggest Chrome or Firefox because these are the most popular browsers in the world today. Though they might have certain limitations, you can always depend on them when you need a browser the most. Also, keep an eye on Microsoft Edge, which is slowly and steadily rising the charts.
How do I Update my Browser on My Smart TV?
There are two ways to update browsers on your Smart TV. It all depends on how you have installed the application onto your Android TV. If you have downloaded the Browser through the Play Store in your Android TV, then it would prompt you as it does in your Android smartphone or tablet. You can open the Play Store and check for updates.
However, if you have used the web version of the Google Play Store or used an APK to install the application, then there is no way to display if updates are available for your app. The only possible solution is to manually check on the browser version of Play Store to find out if the app has received updates. If yes, then you can uninstall the app from your Android TV and sideload it again with the newer version.
Your Thoughts on the Best Free Browser for Android TV or Smart TV
The browsing experience can be only enhanced if you have a compatible browser, which offers a lot of features by default. Private browsing mode and Ad Blockers are some of the exquisite features which have become common in all browsers. Apart from these, there are other factors like add-ons, remote compatibility, multiple tabs etc. which must also be considered while choosing the best browser.
Do share your thoughts on the best browser for Android TV in the comments section below and follow us on social media – Facebook and YouTube. For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We would love to get back to you with a solution. We post regularly on the tips and tricks along with solutions to common issues related to technology. Subscribe to our newsletter to get regular updates on the tech world.